American Rheinmetall Munitions, Inc.
American Rheinmetall Munitions, Inc. (ARM) is the U.S. operating subsidiary of Rheinmetall Waffe Munition GmbH, Germany.
ARM produces training and combat ammunition for the U.S. military forces. Combat grenades and smoke grenades for vehicle protection also form part of the company's product range.
ARM is committed to continued growth by means of strategic teaming, exceptional supply-chain management, advanced production techniques, and alignment with Department of Defense's initiatives to provide the best for warfighters.
The headquarters of American Rheinmetall Munitions are located in Stafford, Virginia.
ARM built an assembly plant in East Camden, Arkansas. The facility manufactures High Velocity 40mm MK281 projectiles for the U.S. market as well as the M1110 40mm Low Velocity non-dud producing so-called "Green Ammunition" training round.
Systems & Products
Helping the Marines win the fight
The MK281 40 mm training grenade gives U.S. Marine Corps MK19 gunners a cost effective, safe, and advanced day and night training solution. The cartridge uses unique target marking technologies that enable both day and night training. Training with advanced practice ammunition from ARM keeps the Marines ready for operations around the world.
The expandable handgrenade 08 "EHGr08" is a modular offensive grenade with high safety features and enable the user options for different blast effects in different operational areas. The blast charge functions after 3.0sec to 5.0sec delay time in a temperature range of –46°C to +63°C. These effects combined with the qualified, reliably fuzing system provide the users with the key ingredients for a good offensive grenade, i.e. high blast and high safety.
The user is able to change the blast effect by add on or screw off a body. Additionally we can provide a cutting charge as a body.
It is a flexible hand grenade body specially designed for the expandable hand grenade to penetrate armoured steel and destroy sensitive goods.
- Military operation in urbanized terrain (MOUT)
- Modular system is adaptable to different operational scenarios
- Selectable strength for the user
- Qualified handgrenade
- Training system available
- In service with the Swedish Armed Forces
The Rheinmetall M1110 40mmx46 Day/Night Trainer cartridge is the perfect training ammunition, giving users and operators the ability to train during either day or night sessions. The M1110 uses the same low-cost and readily available propulsion unit as does the M781 training grenade, thereby reducing training costs while enhancing ammunition commonality. The M1110 is built from the ground up to be a safe, efficient, low cost training round, used to enhance the frequency and safety of training sessions.
The key characteristic of the M1110 is its dual powder and chemiluminescent inserts that visiblymark targets under both day- and night-time conditions. Apart from the significant improvements in the frequency and availability of night training, the M1110 training cartridge also allows units to train on ranges that are otherwise restricted due to dry weather (fire danger) or safety (unexploded ordnance) hazards. The "inert" nature of the M1110s warhead also makes it ideal for hazardfree maneuver training, such as "shoot and scoot" or mechanized infantry training, since the grenade can be safely walked on or driven over.
- Marking grenade uses a patented, dual system of powder and chemiluminescent materials to enable day- and nighttime marking
- In daylight, the marking is visible with the naked eye, at night, the marking is visible with both night vision equipment and the naked eye
- Maximum effective range up to 400m
- Under qualification
MK 1 Mod 0 is a vehicle-launched IR smoke-screening grenade that significantly reduces the probability of enemy hits by interrupting the line of sight (LOS) in the visual and infrared spectrum. It thus protects combat vehicles from visual and infrared observation, aiming equipment, sensor-guided weapons as well as laser illuminators, beam-riders and laser rangefinders. The 66mm MK 1 Mod 0 is based on a bi-modular, multispectral ammunition concept consisting of a
- Rapid-reaction jamming module producing intense over-radiation utilizing proven decoy technology, coupled with a
- Long-duration module producing visual and infrared screening smoke
Numerous tests and live fire field trials have successfully demonstrated the jamming, screening and obscuring effectiveness of 66mm grenade technology, including tests against antitank missiles.
- Bi-modular, multispectral ammunition concept with rapid-reaction flare deployment and long-duration IR and visual screening component
- Jamming effect created by over-radiation utilizing proven decoy technologies
- Effective against simultaneous and multiple attacks with sensor- and laser-guided weapons
- Nontoxic according to STANAG 4588
- Fielded and combat-proven
- In service with USMC and other armies
The MK13 Mod 0 BTV-EL Sound & Flash grenade is a high performance stun grenade that offers several unique safety features. The MK13 produces blinding flash and deafening noise levels sufficient to daze and disorient onlookers, while still falling just under the threshold of inducing permanent injury.
The MK13 uses a delay fuze that detonates the grenade 1.5 seconds after the fly-off lever is released. This time delay, combined with the bottom and top venting (BTV) system and the extended length (EL) of the MK13 body, gives the user the ideal combination of stunning flash and sound in a safe and efficient package.
Other highlights of the MK13
- Each grenade individually X-rayed during production to ensure a safe shipping condition
- Safe bottom and top venting (BTV) system directs "flash bang" explosion away from the hand and fingers
- Waterproof up to 20 m; excellent for use in naval, maritime and/or littoral operations
Use and application
- Military Operations In Urban Terrain
- Hostage rescue
- Peace enforcement operations
- In service worldwide with security and law enforcement agencies, as well as U.S. military and special operation forces.
The Rheinmetall MK281 Mod 0 and Mod 1 40mm x 53 Practice cartridges are precision, high velocity training and practice cartridges. The MK281 uses the proven, patented Rheinmetall propulsion unit that enables a very low standard deviation in muzzle velocity, thereby resulting in a high degree of accuracy. The MK281 round is compatible with all types of automatic grenade launchers, including the MK19, the MK47 and the HK GMG, and comes in two different types:
- 40mm x 53 Cartridge MK281 Mod0 Impact Marker
- 40mm x 53 Cartridge MK281 Mod1 Day/Night Marker
The MK312 Mod 0 Infrared (IR) Tactical Marker cartridge is used for accurate IR-marking of enemy targets and for directing air and ground fires to threat locations during nighttime or low-visibility conditions. Upon impact, the MK312 breaks open and disperses an IR chemiluminescent material that, while invisible to the naked eye, is clearly visible using the appropriate night vision equipment. The marking from a MK312 grenade can be seen from altitudes of 400 feet or greater.
The projectile's driving band is made of plastic in order to minimize barrel wear and enhance accuracy. The cartridge case is composed of aluminum and contains the patented Rheinmetall propulsion unit and its associated primer and propellant charge. The unique, patented high/low-pressure chamber system allows for controlled gas pressure build-up, which results in consistent muzzle velocities and excellent accuracy. In addition, the smooth pressure build-up curve reduces the felt recoil of the cartridge.
- Chemical marking compound of the MK312 designates targets and points of interest in complete darkness
- Marking is visible from the ground and air with night vision equipment
- Illumination lasts at least two minutes
- Highly reliable and accurate propulsion unit
- Maximum effective range is 400 m
- Product is U.S. qualified and available for sale
- In service in Sweden
Rapid protection against a wide spectrum of enemy sensors and sights is one of the most important requirements in modern military missions. Being stopped by a barrier, crossing a street in urban combat or being threatened by snipers are examples of situations where spontaneous invisibility can substantially increase the survivability of individuals or groups of soldiers.
SPIRCO provides this rapid-reaction invisibility. In less than one second after burst the smoke hand grenade SPIRCO generates a smoke screen which is effective against visual sight and aiming equipment, night-vision devices, sensors operating in the near IR-spectrum and laser range finders.
- Interruption of line-of-sight in the visual, in the near infrared spectrum and in the laser spectral range
- Rapid smoke screen in less than one second from burst
- Screen duration about 30 seconds
- Screen dimensions about 10m wide and 2.5m high
- In serial production